When you are looking to attract attention and visitors to your website, the best way to do it is by ranking highly in the local search engines. Doing this means that you need to optimise your website for certain keywords and you need to make sure you do your research to make sure your keywords are the best for your site. Here are five steps to doing this.
- Firstly, you will need to avoid the common misconceptions. Often, people go straight in and optimise their website for highly competitive search terms with high volume, but you need to stop and think, are these the best terms for my site? If not, you might get a lot of visitors but no sales, whereas if you optimised for a less high volume key phrase that was more suited, you would have more sales.
- Secondly, create a list. You should always create a list of anything you think people might search for to find your website. Don’t worry about search volumes or how many keywords you have at this point, just make the list.
- Thirdly, use a keyword research tool to see how many people are searching for your keywords on your list and how competitive they are. This will help you to decide which keywords to optimise your website for and narrow down your list. There are a variety of good keyword research tools out there such as the free service from Google.
- Next, you need to plan your attack. The need to make sure that your chosen keywords at actually included in your sites content. If you have chosen your keywords correctly, this will probably already be the case to some extent but you need to make sure things such as title tag, meta description, headings an alt text are all optimised as best they can be.
- Lastly, you need to make sure to keep on top of things. Doing this once isn’t enough as keyword search volumes and competition change regularly, so you need to make sure you are checking your keywords every few months at least.
Following these stops as well as offering good quality content on your site and you should be well away. Remember, content is king and always will be.